Hair loss can affect anyone, but it can be particularly devastating for women. Often regarded as a symbol of femininity, long and thick hair are women’s literal crowning glory—an accessory that compliments their features and boosts their confidence. For many women, thinning and losing hair can have negative effects on their body image, self-esteem, and quality of life. Thankfully, these can be easily remedied with the right hair loss treatment in the Philippines.
What is hair loss in women?
Women experience hair loss in different ways. In men, hair loss is typically characterized by a receding hairline, but in women, the most common sign of hair loss is the overall thinning of the hair that causes their parting to become wider. Other symptoms of hair loss in women include coin-like bald patches across the scalp and excessive hair fall.
What are the types of hair loss?
The most common types of hair loss affecting women include:
- Anagen effluvium – This is a type of hair loss that develops during the growth stage of a hair cycle. In most cases, injuries or illnesses destroy the hair follicles on the scalp, preventing new hair from growing.
- Telogen effluvium – This type of hair loss develops during the resting stage of the hair cycle. Here, the hair follicles prematurely enter their resting stage, causing current hair to break off and fall. Telogen effluvium is commonly caused by significant stress, severe trauma, and medications, among others.
- Androgenetic alopecia – More commonly known as female pattern hair loss (FPHL), this is a condition in which the hair follicles gradually shrink, causing hair to grow thinner, as well as current to fall off. Unlike male pattern baldness, however, FPHL does not cause complete baldness in women.
What causes hair loss?
There are plenty of factors that contribute to hair loss, the most common of which are:
- Age – With age comes the natural slowing down of hair growth and eventually, the hair follicles will enter their resting phase for a longer period. This causes hair to regrow slowly or in some cases, not at all.
- Hormonal imbalance – Hair thinning and hair loss is caused by a significant drop in estrogen and progesterone levels. For women, this occurs after childbirth and during menopause.
- Stress – As is the case with telogen effluvium, significant stress or trauma can cause hair follicles to prematurely enter their resting phase. When this happens, the follicles stop growing hair, eventually causing hair to fall off.
- Iron deficiency anemia – The body requires iron to produce red blood cells, which are responsible for delivering oxygen to the rest of the body, including the scalp. With iron deficiency anemia, the hair follicles are not able to receive sufficient oxygen to stimulate hair growth, thus also forcing the follicles to enter into a premature resting phase.
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism – Thyroid disorders such as hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism interrupt the production of hormones necessary to sustain the metabolic processes responsible for hair growth. Treating these thyroid disorders will help reduce or reverse thinning hair or hair loss.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency – Vitamin B12 assists in the production of red blood cells that deliver oxygen to the hair follicles. A lack of vitamin B12 causes the hair follicles to become weak and unable to normally produce new hair.
- Dramatic weight loss – Sudden and rapid weight loss causes physical and psychological stresses that lead to telogen effluvium. Additionally, it also causes nutrient deficiencies and hormonal imbalance, which prevent the body from producing and receiving the nutrients it needs to stimulate hair growth.
- Traction alopecia – This refers to hair loss that is caused by pulling on the hair, whether due to a medical condition (trichotillomania) or due to regularly wearing tight hairstyles such as ponytails and buns.
Finding out the root cause of hair loss and addressing it promptly are keys to maintaining a full head of hair.
Hair loss may be devastating but thankfully, it is not inevitable or permanent. If you want to regain your crowning glory quickly, NOVUHAIR® may be your best bet. Enriched with 19 of nature’s best ingredients, NOVUHAIR® is the #1 topical hair loss treatment in the Philippines, clinically proven safe and effective in preventing hair fall and promoting hair growth.